Myanmar eVisa online (How to apply in 2018)
Are you planning on going to Myanmar?
Well, let us tell you where and how to apply for a Myanmar eVisa online. ;)
And no worries, getting your Myanmar visa in 2018 is actually super easy and convenient.
We visited this wonderful country in February 2018, applied for visa online and this is a guide on how you do it.
At a glance:
⇃ Pin it for later ⇂
Myanmar eVisa Quick Facts
- Tourist visa is only available online (apply for your Myanmar eVisa here)
- $50 for Tourist eVisa (you will get it within 3 working days)
- $56 for Tourist eVisa Express (you will get it within 24hrs)
- Fees are non-refundable
- eVisa approval letter is valid for 90 days
- eVisa is valid for 28 days and single entry only
- overstaying is possible, however, you will have to pay a fee/day
Things needed to apply for your Myanmar eVisa
- A Passport which is valid at least for 6 months & your passport number, issue date and expiration date
- Address of your accommodation in Myanmar (if you have more than one, just use the first)
- Credit Card to pay the eVisa fee (can be visa, Mastercard, Amex, JCB or Alipay)
- Digital Passport image that you will upload in the process (resizing service offered at the official government website)
- Your current occupation (if you do not have one, use the latest you had)
- A Printer so you can print out your approval letter (mandatory)
Tip regarding your flight:
As with many countries in Southeast Asia you might be asked by the airline or by immigration to show a return ticket from Myanmar in order to be allowed entry.
Who needs a Myanmar visa
Virtually every foreigner visiting Myanmar needs to apply for a visa.
However, if you are a passport holder of the following countries you are granted exemptions.
You are then allowed to stay in Myanmar without a visa for a specific period (see table).
|No.||Country Name||Exemption Period|
Entry ports in Myanmar that allow eVisa
Entering Myanmar at Mandalay Airport with an eVisa approval Letter was one of the smoothest immigration procedures we experienced on our travels so far.
However keep in mind, that you are only allowed to enter the country with an eVisa through the following ports (as of April 2018):
- Mandalay International Airport
- Yangon International Airport
- Nay Pyi Taw International Airport
- Tachileik Land Border
- Myawaddy Land Border
- Kawthaung Land Border
How long is the eVisa valid
Here you have to differentiate between the Myanmar eVisa Approval Letter and the visa itself.
The first one is what you will get after you applied for the visa online.
It grants you the right to enter Myanmar and is valid for 90 days.
So don’t apply for it too early.
We did it one week prior to our departure and it was all fine.
The visa itself (that’s the one you will get stamped into your passport) is valid for 28 days and is a single entry visa.
This means you would need to apply for another one if you want to leave Myanmar and come back again.
If you overstay your visa you will have to pay a certain fee/day for your violation.
What if I overstay with a Myanmar eVisa
We totally get it if you want to stay longer than 28 days in Myanmar because it’s an amazing and breathtaking country.
Related Article: “Bagan Sunrise Pagodas – a Guide to the hidden Spots”.
So, if you overstay you will have to pay $3/day when leaving Myanmar.
That’s it. ;)
This can be done at the ‘Immigration Over Stay’ office at the port of your departure (just look for the sign).
They will calculate how much you need to pay and then you will get a ‘overstay stamp’ into your passport.
And for the future, you won’t have any troubles to get a new visa, even though you overstayed the old one.
For more stories about overstaying in Myanmar, checkout this blog.
Step by Step Guide ‘How to apply for an Myanmar eVisa’
- Check if your passport is valid at least 6 months
- Identify your passport number, expiration date and issue date
- Prepare a digital passport image of yourself
- Go to: https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/NewApplication.aspx
- Fill out visa type (either Tourist visa or Tourist visa Express)
- Your Nationality
- Your Port of Entrance
- Enter the Security Verification
- Read through Terms & Conditions and either agree or not (if you do not, you will not be able to apply for an eVisa)
- On the next page fill out the required fields (please do use a valid email address as the eVisa Approval Letter will be sent there)
- Upload your passport image (has to be in color and 4.6 x 3.8 cm)
- Click on continue
- Add your payment details
- Congratulations, you just need to wait for the official eMail (don’t forget to check your Spam folder!)
⇃ Pin it for later ⇂
If you have any questions concerning the application process, feel free to comment! We will get back as soon as possible.